March 13, 2020
Dear YMCA Family and Friends,
As we have continued to monitor and communicate the growing concerns surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we would like to share updated information regarding our ongoing operations. We will continue to add additional information on a regular basis to this web page and our social media channels, as we make informed decisions based on recommendations from local, state and national health officials.
IMMEDIATE CHANGES TAKING PLACE
Based on what we learn from health and government officials and other YMCA’s, we are making policy and operational changes to prevent the spread of illness. More changes may come, and we will share them with you regularly. While our Ys remain open, we feel it is best to take precautions.
Beginning upon opening on Monday, March 16, all group fitness classes and programming will be canceled for three weeks, including but not limited to:
- Youth sports
- Gymnastics rec & team
- Swim lessons, swim team & triathlon training
- Child Watch
- Before & After Care at school sites
- Water fitness classes
- Group fitness classes
- Saunas & steam rooms
- Limited cardiovascular equipment to promote social distancing
- No guest passes or day passes will be issued
At this time, our Preschool Child Care operations will remain open in Newark and western Licking County. With the support of Licking Heights Local School District and Southwest Licking Schools, we will maintain Preschool Child Care at those facilities.
STOP THE SPREAD
Health officials continue to advise us to focus on the importance of being vigilant in our efforts to prevent the spread of illness. To that end, we can all immediately continue to support a healthy workplace and community by following these common-sense precautions from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC):
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water, and for at least 20 seconds per hand.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Practice good cough and sneeze etiquette.
- Stay home when you feel ill.
- Watch out for your neighbor and help remind others to practice these good behaviors.
- We have enhanced our current cleaning protocols and are working with facility teams to ensure an appropriate level of cleaning and disinfecting supplies are onsite at each facility. Our alcohol-based hand sanitizer and cleaning products are rated as effective in killing COVID-19. We have ordered additional hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies for locations.
For over 145 years, the Buckeye Valley Family YMCA has been committed to serving our community, and we will continue to do so in the coming weeks. Our goal is to resume all normal operations on April 6th.
Again, thanks for all you do and for your loyalty to the YMCA,
Chief Executive Officer
Buckeye Valley Family YMCA
YMCA Mission: To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.